Thursday, January 8, 2009

Graco.. love or hate?

I received this really cute Graco swing for my baby shower. The girls loved it. We stopped using the swings when the girls were 6 months old. This swing was still in perfect looking condition. I ended up selling it to my best girl friend. She had a little girl about 10.5 months after I had my girls.

The motor on the swing apparently had had it's day because it was acting funny at her house. It would run for a few minutes and then just stop. I got online and was about to order a new motor and decided I would call Graco instead. I didn't want to shell out the $30 to replace the motor without at least trying to get Graco to make it right. The swing had only been used for 6 months, it shouldn't be dying already. (and yes, we tried fresh batteries =P )

The guy at Graco quickly said "it's the motor and shouldn't be dying already, I'll send you a new one free of charge" AWESOME... I thought.

I received the new motor about 2 weeks later. Everything seemed great for a couple days and then the swing would stop moving after a minute or two. Ok.. ridiculous! Did they send me a used motor? So.. I call Graco again. The lady was very apologetic and said that she would send me another motor 2 day air. SWEET... so I thought, again.

I received the new motor 2 days later and took it over to my friend's house. Again, everything went well for a couple days and boom! the dang motor stopped AGAIN! By this time, my friend has washed her hands of the swing and wants to buy a new one. I don't blame her. I made things right with her and gave her a jumperoo I had that is still in great condition.

I decided that I'm not giving up with Graco. They WILL make this right with me. I am taking the swing back from my friend and calling Graco again. This time, customer service wasn't as nice as before. The lady I spoke with 20 questioned me. How big is the baby? Where is the swing located? Do you have carpet? Do you push the swing to get it started and then turn the swing on or do you turn the swing on and then give it a push? Besides the baby's weight (9.5lbs) apparently "I" am doing everything wrong. According to her, swings aren't meant for use on carpet.. ok, are you kidding me? I should also be pushing the swing and then be turning it on. Ok, whatever lady. I'm sure THOSE were my problems. (roll eyes)

So today I received the 3rd motor. Crossing my fingers that it works well now. I plan on keeping the swing here because I will be babysitting my friend's little girl 4 days a week starting in 2 weeks.

Back to the title of this blog entry, do we love Graco because they are willing to send me motors free of charge or do we hate them for sending me duds? LOL

3 comments:

Tamara said...

Graco altogether has "issues". Before I had the girls, I went online and read all the reviews for various products with outcomes most often similar to yours. Graco is pretty cheap compared to a lot of other brands but I guess you get what you pay for. But who wants to pay a lot of money for a good brand product that will be used for 6 months? About half of the Graco products I have purchased work fine and the other half are duds (including a swing). So, I would say I love them about half the time and hate them about half the time. Is that good or bad or both!?!

Pamela said...

Sooo this exact same thing happened to me but I was the one getting the used swing. We ended up throwing it away and buying a new one. Eat my poo Graco!

Cynthia said...

Tamara- I don't know! I'm so confused.. lol. I have other Graco things that have worked just fine, like you said. so glad the girls are growing out of the baby items anyway.

Pam- my friend and I looked at swings together online and made sure to stay away from Graco. we found a really cute one that will plug in so she doesn't have to worry about batteries.

I hope this new motor works. If not, I have all the time in the world to stay on Graco's butt though. The swing will end up being out of style before we get a motor that works! lol