Tuesday, January 13, 2009

well baby visit and a ride on an ambulance

We just got back from the hospital. We had the girls 12 month well baby visit. They were scheduled last month but ended up having that really bad virus.

So today we go into the doctor and they both got weighed (on the big scale now! ..sniff sniff) Then the dr. came in and we started with Samantha. I held her on the table and our dr. was looking in her ears and checking her eyes, mouth, heart..etc. Then she had me lay her back to check her stomach and crotch area, as usual. As I lie her down, she started crying really hard (she is terrified of strangers) and she completely stopped breathing. Her mouth was open because she was in the middle of crying and her face got super red. She wasn't taking a breath. (she does this sometimes but always snaps out of it in like 2-3 seconds) After about 10-15 seconds she was starting to get a little blueish and the dr. picked her up and I kept saying "is she ok?" over and over again. Then Samantha went limp in her arms. I was freaking out.

The dr. said "get Sherry" I opened the dr. and yelled to get Sherry (the medical assistant) she came running in (I was bawling!) and she told her "call 911, Samantha just had a seizure" Then I started REALLY freaking out.

The dr. gave Samantha back to me. She had come back to and was crying. I tried calming her down but she was pretty worked up (and so was I) and the dr. kept saying over and over again that she was fine but that she wanted her checked out for peace of mind and that she probably would have sent her home after a bit but I was so distraught, she had to send her in to calm me down.

The paramedics got there and I got on the gurney with Samantha on my lap. Dusty took Addison home and had his mom come over to watch her so he could meet us up to the hospital. She was totally fine in the ambulance and was talking and acting normal. The paramedic said he wasn't going to touch her though (unless really needed) because she gets so worked up with new people, especially if they touch her.

We got into the ER (btw.. we were in that same ER exactly one month ago with her) The dr. came right in and I told him the story of what happened. I said TO ME.. it looked like she was crying so hard that she stopped breathing and then passed out. I said I was shocked when the dr. said she had a seizure. He started doing an exam and wanted me to lay her back and she started crying really hard again and stopped breathing for a split second and I picked her right back up again and she calmed right down. I said.. sorry, I am shy about this all now. He did the exam with her on my lap. Said she looked great and they would call our Dr. and ask again what happened and confirm she thought it was a seizure or not. We stayed for 3 hours and were released.

That was TERRIFYING!

I know some kids do this and will tantrum and such till they pass out. Its just so terrifying to watch.

We call our dr. tomorrow to be seen again, as a followup.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

My Lily does the exact same thing. She sometimes holds her breath so long when she is really upset that I am afraid she'll pass out, too. She hasn't yet. But, based on what you described, in my unofficial medical opinion, I really don't think Samantha had a seizure. But, I guess its a great thing that their pediatrician errs on the side of caution. Thanks for posting, though, I will make sure Lily is comforted before she gets that worked up again.