Saturday, May 24, 2008

We tried and survived!!

Dusty and I LOVE to go out to eat. It's actually one of the things I miss the most since having the twins. Josh loves going to restaurants too. He is very well trained as far as going out to eat is concerned.

We have been wanting to take the girls out to eat but nap time and moods have never seemed to line up right. But.. today was the day!!

Here in Michigan we still have smoking in restaurants (but not for much longer) and I HATE the smell of cigarettes. This deters us too. I don't want the girls around the stench. I know it may sound funny but we kind of need to train them on going out to eat. They need to be familiar with it and know how to behave because it's something that we really love to do. I started Josh early and he knows the "etiquette" and everything quite well. So we decided to start off at a very casual place (but not fast food..blah). A coney island place would be ideal but they are known for a smokers hang out so that is a no go, so we ended up at Big Boys (Shoneys for those in the south!). We went at a very slow part of the day (4pm) and I am serious when I say this, we were in and out within 30 mins (tops!) We ordered quickly- the food came quick and we just about inhaled the food...you multiple's parents know what I mean! lol and then we were out the door headed home. It went beautifully! No whining or fussing or anything. WHEW!

I should have snapped a picture but there should be more outings to come, now that we got our feet wet. We took the girls bumbos and they sat in the booth with us. That worked out great!

Round one- parents (knock on wood!)

4 comments:

Kyrstyn said...

I was laughing the entire time I read your post, because I SOOO feel your pain. Im so glad it went smoothly!!

Brooke said...

It just ate my last reply, ugh!

Holy crap! 30 minutes, no wonder you looked so relaxed the other night.

We have been taking the babies out after church every week since they were pretty little. In the beginning it was easier because we had the infant seats and they slept most of the time.

Now its easier, but harder if that makes sense. Some things that help us that might work for you when the girls get older....

We ususally order something from the childs menu for the babies, usually grilled cheese.

We bring out own fruit cups in and feed them the fruit until their meal comes, keeping them happy.

Once the food is there, I get everything ready for them and then try to get a bite in here and there until Ed finishes and takes over.

Braeden is the SLOWEST, we usually order a kids ice cream bowl and that keeps them happy while they finish.

We also have those toys that you suction to the table that they can play with.

Stick on placemats, don't buy them, they will rip them right off.

I have been bringing (don't laugh) those rubber square things you put on your cookie pans, it looks like a placemat, but the rubber makes it not come off.

Cynthia said...

Brooke, I think it will be easier once the girls are eating solids.

We had toys to occupy the girls and I think they did awesome for just sitting there looking at us or playing with the toys. I did bring a couple bottles for emergencies.

I like the idea of bringing a little something for them to eat before the meal comes. We are still awhile away from that though (ordering something for them)

Great tips! Thanks!!

Unknown said...

I know what you mean! Taking the boys out to eat is so much work that we try and get in and out as fast as we can. Occasionally it goes really well but most of the time one of us ends up taking the two younger boys to the car while the other finishes up! lol It was actually easier for us when they were infants, its so difficult taking a 2 and 3 year old. That's probably why we hardly go out! lol