Monday, June 1, 2009

Addison’s tube surgery

Today was her surgery. We left the house at 5:30 am. I just snatched her out of her crib and on we went. Luckily there wasn’t too much waiting around. We had to be there at 6am and surgery was set for 7:30am. They had so much to do, that it didn’t really feel like we waited around for 1.5hrs.

We were first taken to her room. Then, after vitals, we were taken to Pre-op where many nurses and doctors came and talked to us. Then Addison was given some medicine (in liquid form) to calm her and make her relax. It made her silly. She was trying to sit upright in her crib (or cage, as it looks!) and kept having to balance herself with her arm. She was so happy and giggly. That made it easier to part ways, for both of us. She didn’t care that we had to leave in a different direction down the hall and we were glad that she was happy.

We were in the waiting room for about 1.5-2hrs. Its a quick surgery but they also did a BAER test


Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR), sometimes called Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response (BAER), measures the 8th (auditory) nerve and brainstem’s response to sound. This testing can be used several ways, including newborn hearing screening, estimation of hearing sensitivity in very young patients, estimation of hearing in difficult-to-test populations, neurodiagnostics to rule out retrocochlear pathology and, sometimes, is used during surgical procedures to monitor the auditory brainstem status.


Initial results show normal. The surgeon said that he would have more detail at our follow-up in 2 weeks. The results are printed in a graph and need to be analyzed but look normal at first glance.

She was very cranky when she woke from anesthesia. Nothing really helped her calm down. She just eventually got happier as it wore off. She was in recovery for about 15 minutes and then we were taken back to her room. We spent about an hour in her room and then she was discharged.

Here are some pictures from my camera phone.


This is her after her “happy juice”


Daddy and I waiting impatiently in the waiting room


After surgery, back in her room


She pulled her IV out shortly after I took this picture. Little stinker!! It was set to come out anyway. She’s impatient like her mommy.

She did SO well. I am very proud of her. She handled no sippy or food in the morning. She wasn’t able to drink anything until after surgery- around 9am, although she had been up since 5:30.

She took a longer than normal nap today (4hrs) and has been her normal happy self!

What a relief this is all over with! I had myself pretty worked up over it.


Dusty said...

I am so glad that this is over with too. Now we'll have the pain in the ass of keeping her ears dry and free of any fluids at all. Seriously, if Samantha sneezes in her direction we're in trouble. lol.

It'll be worth it if the munchkin is even just a little bit more comfortable than she was prior to surgery.

Thanks for tolerating my rampages against hospital procedure and progressive liberalism. =)

Love you!

Dusty "Cranky" - Your Hubble

Mrs. Fish: aka Two Fish said...

So glad she did so well!! My mom is a nurse and said that the tubes make such a difference for kids with the chronic ear infections! YAY for happy baby!

BTW - need your email!! You WON the giveaway!!

Brooke said...

Glad everything went well and it is over and done with.